If you’re occupying a space where fuel is burned and fumes have an opportunity to build up, you’re at risk for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is an odorless, colorless gas that’s hazardous to inhale, causing uncomfortable symptoms at low levels and death at higher levels. EMS, EMT, police and fire departments face this potential danger when responding to reports of flu-like illnesses or unconscious citizens who may be involved in CO poisoning themselves. Avoid workplace injuries by knowing what symptoms to look for and how to prevent CO poisoning.
CO poisoning symptoms can feel flu-like, and their severity depends on your exposure, which is measured in parts per million (ppm). If you or your employee experiences symptoms, get into fresh air immediately and get emergency medical help.
- 35 ppm: Within 5 to 8 hours, you’ll experience headache, dizziness, and flushed skin
- 200 ppm: Within 1.5 to 3 hours, nausea, headache, dizziness, and very red skin
- 400 ppm: After 3 hours, exposure becomes life-threatening
- 800-1,000 ppm: After an hour, loss of consciousness and seizures happen; after 2 or 3, death occurs
- 3,200 ppm: Unconsciousness occurs within 30 minutes
- 6,400+ ppm: Instant unconsciousness, death in 10-15 minutes
Carbon Monoxide Monitors
Carbon monoxide monitors should be a part of your PPE if fumes are a recurring danger. PK Safety carries a variety of CO gas monitors and offers 4-year protection plans, maintenance, repairs, custom settings, and more options tailored to your needs.
- AimSafety CO Single Gas Monitor is a no-maintenance option that covers you for two years and displays real-time CO concentrations in PPM.
- For a small, easy-to-use monitor that requires no charging or calibration, the Teledyne Protégé ZM monitor is a good choice.
- The RKI Instruments O3 Series monitor is durable and well-equipped for hazardous material and features a digital display of gas readings.
- BW Clip 2 Year Single Gas Detectors have great features and are compatible with the BW Clip Hibernation Case.
- For a durable monitor that’s compatible with the AutoRAE Lite Bump and Calibration Station, look at the RAE Systems ToxiRAE 3.
PK Safety is Your Workplace Safety Partner
No matter what hazards you face on the job or what questions you have, PK Safety is prepared to help you face them. After decades of safety equipment experience, we can supply CO monitors and other PPE that ensures you and your employees stay safe and healthy. In addition to supplying some of the best CO monitors in the industry, we have in-house technicians that are factory-certified to repair, calibrate, and configure your monitors to your exact specifications. If you have product or safety questions, contact one of our safety experts online or by phone at 800.829.9580.
Are you a first responder? Learn how to decide which single gas CO monitor is the best fit for your job.